Hollow Hills Grove, ADF Bylaws
This page last updated 3 September 2010
To serve the spiritual needs of our community (the greater area of the county of Hampshire in the United Kingdom) through public Druidic ritual. Hollow Hills Grove, ADF is committed to providing the outlet for its members to worship a diversity of Indo-European pantheons. An undue pressure on any person to participate or donate funds clearly falls outside the purpose and goals of Hollow Hills Grove. As set forth by the Mother Grove, Hollow Hills Grove must provide open public worship at all of the High Days.
Hollow Hills Grove, ADF will remain as an ADF grove by adhering to the requirements set out in the Required Grove Activities published by ADF and the ADF by-laws. Any decision not to do so will constitute dissolution of Hollow Hills Grove, ADF.
As a local congregation of Ár nDraíocht Féin: A Druid Fellowship, Inc. Hollow Hills Grove, ADF shall follow the national by laws.
Participation in Grove Activities
Participation in Hollow Hills Grove, ADF is limited to adults eighteen (18) years or older, however children may be able to attend with a legal guardian. However, some Hollow Hills Grove, ADF activities may not be appropriate or suitable for children. Please check the Hollow Hills schedule or email firstname.lastname@example.org for further age restriction information.
As set forth by the Mother Grove, Hollow Hills Grove must perform a minimum of eight public events per year.
1.The High Days of the ADF calendar are the eight Neo-pagan High Days which are the solstices, equinoxes, and points equally between them. For legal purposes, these High Days occur on:
1. Cross-Quarter = November 1st
2. Solstice = December 21st
3. Cross-Quarter = February 1st
4. Equinox = March 21st
5. Cross-Quarter = May 1st
6. Solstice = June 21st
7. Cross-Quarter = August 1st
8. Equinox = September 21st
2.For ceremonial purposes, however, each High Day may be celebrated upon either the legal date, the astronomical date, or upon a date mutually convenient, within a fortnight, to the participants of the particular celebrations involved. In addition, Hollow Hills Grove, ADF may honor traditional ethnic holidays.
1.We meet for all manner of events from pagan arts and crafts, to social gatherings, to a wide variety of discussions on spiritual, Indo-European, historical and magick related topics. Please see our calendar for a list of events.
2.Events are free and open to the public unless otherwise noted on the schedule. In some cases donations are asked for to cover the costs of materials.
3.In addition to our public events, events restricted to members may be scheduled for the purposes of enhancing and deepening the spiritual development of our members. The overwhelming majority of all Grove activities will be open and inclusive.
1.To join Hollow Hills Grove, we ask that new people attend at least 4 High Days and a majority of meetings in-between high days and exhibit willingness to contribute energy to the grove.
2.Full Grove Member – is defined as a person who is a member of ADF and a Local Grove member.
3.Local Grove Member – is defined as a person who has been invited and agreed to join Hollow Hills Grove and who sustains participation in Grove activities.
4.ADF Member – is defined as a person who is recognized as a current member of ADF.
Voting on Membership
1. Any person may apply for admission to the Grove upon having fulfilled membership requirements as outlined in our bylaws. Acceptance of new Grove members must be approved by a 75% vote of current Local and/or Full Grove Members.
2. If a prospective member is eligible for membership by meeting the criteria for membership outlined by the bylaws of Hollow Hills Grove, and declines membership in Hollow Hills, the invitation remains open as long as the prospective member maintains regular attendance at meetings and rituals (4 public events within a 6 month period).
3. If a prospective member has been declined membership in Hollow Hills Grove by the voting membership, the prospective member may re-apply for membership and this application will be voted on at the next business meeting. In some cases, to re-apply, the prospective member must demonstrate a change in behaviour. The prospective member must also re-fulfill the membership criteria outlined in the bylaws of Hollow Hills Grove starting from the day they re-apply.
1.Membership and rank in Hollow Hills Grove, ADF, attendance at public or semipublic Hollow Hills activities, and participation in any lore or arts meetings, shall not be denied to any person on the basis of race, ancestry, color, physical disability (except as mentioned elsewhere in this article), gender, or affectional orientation, but may be denied to individuals practicing creeds inimical to Neopagan Druidism.
2.As used herein, "inimical creeds" shall include varieties of conservative monotheism, atheism, demonism, racialism, or other such faiths, as shall be determined by the Mother Grove.
3.Proven communication or behavior of a virulently racist, sexist, homophobic, heterophobic, anti-Semitic, or otherwise bigoted manner, shall be grounds for expulsion from Hollow Hills Grove, ADF, as described elsewhere in these Bylaws. This does not include strong verbal statements about the theology, history, or psychological characteristics of other religions.
4.All organizers of public and semipublic Hollow Hills Grove, ADF activities shall make strenuous efforts to facilitate the participation of differently-abled individuals. Nonetheless, all aspirants to any given rank or position must be able to meet all the relevant qualifications previously determined for said rank or position, unless the Mother Grove shall rule otherwise in a particular instance.
Expulsion, Suspension of Full and Local Grove Members:
1. Grounds for suspension or expulsion are stated in the ADF by-laws.
2. Members may be suspended by a 2/3 vote of the Local Grove Membership.
3. After 90 Days, the suspension shall either be removed or a recommendation for expulsion shall be taken to the voting membership.
4. Members may be expelled by a 2/3 vote of the Local Grove Membership
5. Full Grove Members who are suspended or expelled from ADF must show cause why they should be allowed to remain Local Grove Members. Full Grove Members, who have been banned temporarily or permanently from attending ADF activities, by the ADF Mother Grove in accordance with the ADF by-laws, will not be permitted to remain Local Grove Members or to attend grove rituals. Such bans must be announced in ADF publications.
6. Suspended or expelled Full Grove Members may not hold office or act in any way as representatives of Hollow Hills Grove, ADF and have no right to receive any publications, and may not continue to participate in Druidic study programs offered by Hollow Hills Grove, ADF.
7. Should a Full Grove or Local Grove Member be suspended or expelled, notification shall be made to the entire Grove membership within one month.
8. Suspended or expelled Full Grove or Local Grove Member will not be entitled to a refund of any Grove donations or fees.
9. If a member has been inactive for a year, the member will be put on a non-voting status and in order to gain active status the member must maintain regular attendance at meetings and rituals (4 public events within a 6 month period).
Resignation of Full and Local Grove Members:
1. Full Grove Members who resign from ADF may remain Local Members.
2. Full and Local Grove Members may resign from membership at any time for personal reasons and will be eligible to rejoin Hollow Hills Grove, ADF at a later date.
3. Full and Local Grove Members may re-join Hollow Hills Grove, ADF only after fulfilling the criteria stated in the bylaws for initial membership.
1. All Local Grove Members shall be considered voting members of the Grove.
1. A quorum for meeting purposes shall consist of voting members representing in excess of 50% of the Local Grove Membership.2. In elections or referenda open to the Local Grove Members where absentee ballots and proxies are used, the ballots and proxies shall be received by the Grove Organizer, via Royal Mail, before the election, or before the vote is cast.
Election of Officers
Elections will be held at the annual meeting on even numbered years. If there is not a clear consensus of the membership, election will be by the majority of a ballot; except in the case of Appointed Officers. If no candidate receives a majority of votes, a runoff election will be held between the two candidates who received the largest number of votes. In the event of an election where no candidates receive a majority and there is a tie for second place, the second candidate in the runoff will be chosen among these two by lot or a similar omen. In the event of a tie in the runoff election or a tie between the only two candidates in the initial election, the victor will be chosen from among these two by lot or a similar omen.
The term for newly elected officers shall begin at Samhain and will last for two (2) years.
Only current ADF Members may vote in officer elections though non-ADF members may vote on other matters.
The officers of Hollow Hills Grove are responsible to the membership of the grove and the Board of Directors of ADF (henceforth "ADF Mother Grove").
Executive Committee -- Elections for officers of Hollow Hills Grove will be held as described in the“Election of Officers”section of these by-laws. The Executive Committee will consist of all elected officers. Full Grove Members at least 18 years of age are eligible for elective office.
Senior Druid -- administrative and spiritual leader; calls meetings; sets meeting agendas and provides leadership for the grove. Has the right to be an ex officio member of all committees. The Senior Druid is responsible for compiling a quarterly report on the state of the grove to be sent to the Grove Coordination Committee and is responsible for reviewing all other officer's reports. The term of office of the Senior Druid shall be two (2) years.
Pursewarden -- shall sign all checks, drafts, and other instruments for the grove; shall have custody of all money of the grove received or disbursed; shall deposit all money and valuables in the name of and to the credit of Hollow Hills Grove, ADF in such banks or other financial institutions as designated. Shall be responsible for keeping the grove's financial records, and for reviewing these records with the Executive Committee. The Pursewarden is also required to compile an annual report. The term of the office of Pursewarden shall be two (2) years.
Scribe -- shall record minutes and proceedings of all general and Executive Committee meetings; shall send proxy & absentee statements and/or mail ballots to voting members and shall be responsible for collecting proxies and absentee ballots; shall organize incoming correspondence and reply as necessary; and may perform other duties that would otherwise by performed by the secretary of a voluntary association. Candidates for the office of the Scribe shall have the ability to take minutes and have typing skills. Officers will make the Scribe aware of all official grove correspondence. The term of the office of Scribe shall be two (2) years.
The three organizational Grove Officers must maintain their current ADF memberships.
Expulsion, suspension, or resignation of members and officers
Any officer, who is deemed to be not fulfilling the requirements as stated by these by-laws, shall be formally notified by the remaining officers and, if efforts are not taken to continue the function of said office, then the grove voting membership shall, by a 2/3 vote, relieve said officer of his/her office and the remaining officers of the Executive Committee shall appoint a replacement of that office. If there is no suitable replacement for a vacated office the Executive Committee will assume responsibility of fulfilling that office and its functions. Similarly, if any officer, for personal or other reasons, believes that he/she must resign from the office a letter of resignation must be sent to the Executive Committee who shall appoint a replacement for that office. If there is no suitable replacement for a vacated office the remaining Executive Committee will assume responsibility of fulfilling that office and its functions. In the event of the resignation of a Non-elected Officer, the Executive Committee may appoint a suitable replacement for the vacancy.
The Senior Druid, who for personal or other reasons, must resign from office, MUST submit, in writing, a formal resignation from this position to the remaining Executive Committee. Upon the resignation, the Executive Committee shall appoint a Senior Druid until formal elections can be held.
Suspended or expelled members may not hold office or act in any way as representatives of Hollow Hills Grove, ADF and have no right to receive any publications, and may not continue to participate in Druidic study programs offered by Hollow Hills Grove, ADF.